Jobs and career opportunities

apple for the teacher?
RHS full time training
by Janet Prescott - Saturday, 6 January 2018, 9:20 PM

One of our distance/ blended learning students, Caroline Brookes, has gone on from her studies with us to a placement at RHS Hyde Hall with the RHS's own training scheme, the School of Horticulture. 

You need some experience and a minimum RHS Level 2,  then you can apply to train for a level 3 Diploma in Horticultural Practice at four RHS gardens, or for a level 4 Diploma at Wisley.

She is thoroughly enjoying it and wanted to let everyone know that you can apply for next year's programme until the beginning of February.

'I'm three months in at RHS Hyde Hall in Essex and it really is a comprehensive programme; there is on-the-job training from colleagues, masterclasses, accredited training, and week-long lectures at Wisley and Hyde Hall. Assessment is in the form of ident tests throughout the year, coursework (skills journal plus other projects), an allotment site and a practical test in July. Some of the gardens have accommodation (Rosemoor, Wisley). It is about 50% in the garden and 50% training plus study/coursework on top. It is a lot of work and I'm not planning any holidays this year, but I am learning so much. Oh, and it is paid!'

If you think this could suit you, go to the RHS website here for full details.