General news and announcements

apple for the teacher?
Where to take exams?
by Janet Prescott - Friday, 17 August 2018, 10:10 AM

If you are looking for an exam centre that is closer to your home than our Ryton and North Moreton bases, you can use the RHS Centre Finder at

it's not as clear as it used to be as they've revamped this section again, but if you put in your postcode or area it will give you contact details for centres near you.

THis does not automatically mean they will accept external candidates for RHS exams - most colleges for example will only be running the exams for the units they are teaching in that half-year, so they may not offer the units you want, and many will not want the extra complications of taking outside candidates, so do get in touch with the centre's examinations officer in good time to sort out where you will sit your exams.

There is the option of sitting exams in Euston, where the RHS hire rooms to run all the level 2 and 3 exams. Space is limited so contact the RHS ( early if you wish to book a space there.

Your exam fees are paid to the centre where you take the exam, which is then billed by the RHS as soon as exam registration closes, so they pass this money through to the RHS. Centres will also charge you an administration fee to help cover the costs of room hire and invigilation.

Remember that you can enter for an exam and then change your mind and defer to the next session - up to the close of registrations. After that you can only withdraw unless you have an exceptional reason.